Tuesday, January 19, 2010

la vie en rose


Last year, during a particularly hot muggy New York summer, I was trolling around the West Village looking for THE perfect summer lotion. I have been an avid moisturizer since winters in Minnesota left my skin so dry, it hurt to even bend over to tie my Sorell's. I stepped into Fresh on Bleeker street an announced rather loudly that I was looking for lotion that was 'light but not too light, sweet but not too sweet'. Jacob squirted some Sugar Lychee lotion on my hand and said in his adorable southern accent 'here, tryy thias.' That was it. It didn't melt off my skin that afternoon in the 120 degrees of the 4th street station and it didn't make me sweaty and sticky the next day when I took an un-air conditioned cab from my apartment on the Upper East Side to meet friends for lunch in Brooklyn. I have since had a long standing relationship with all Fresh products. I jump between Sugar Lychee in the summer and Milk Milk in the winter.

That was also the summer I bought a lotion after seeing it in the bathroom of a house I was staying at in East Hampton. The bottle was a beautiful old apothecary shape, (real!) glass with bright, bold, hot pink writing. I liked it instantly without even smelling it. Turns out, what was inside the bottle was almost better than what was on the outside. Savon de Marseille has an entire range of deliciously scented lotions and soaps that not only look good, but feel good. Their scent stays on the skin all day (I swear!) and turns to water almost when you put it on. I wear their Wild Rose scent but Fig, Verbena and Pampelmousse are also popular scents.

When I want to smell less like a lychee rose and more like a warm french dessert, I reach for my Laura Mercier Creme de Pistache body scrub and body souffle. The scent is warm, heady and utterly amazing. It smells like my favorite food (pistachio cream pie) and soaks into my skin with not a lot of effort. I love her whole body line but this scent is the best.

www.lcdpusa.com/c/extra-pur-marseille-liquid-soap.html
www.fresh.com
www.lauramercier.com
www.nordstrom.om

No comments: